Universal Translator

Friday, December 2, 2011

Bill Hicks: It's Just a Ride

I'm a real big Bill Hicks fan.  I don't remember exactly how I discovered him -- I remember he had already died by the time someone turned me on to his stuff -- but someone shared one of his comedy albums with me and I knew immediately I'd have to purchase all of them for myself.  I'm a big, big fan of comedy and I cannot for the life of me understand how Hicks slipped past my radar until he was already gone, but thank God for recordings.

At the heart of Hicks's humor is a raw anger at the way the world works.  But -- unlike, say, Sam Kinison (and I'm a Kinison fan too), whose act sometimes devolved into nothing more than screaming rants about things he hated -- Hicks always stayed grounded.  His anger came from a deeply felt realization that the world is the way it is but it doesn't have to be.  We can do better, we should do better.  The fact that we don't is what -- in my opinion -- fueled his rage and his comedy.

Anyway . . . I was over at Plutocracy Files last night and came across the clip below.  I'd seen it before, of course, but - inexplicably - had forgotten about it.  Anyway, Taryn at PF had posted the clip and I like it so much I thought I'd post it here, too.


 You're fantastic and I hope you enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment