Universal Translator

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reason # 2,364 Why I am an Agnostic

So I just got back from walking my dog, I've got a pot of pasta boiling on the stove, and I'm listening to a podcast I downloaded a week or so ago. The guest is a guy named Darrel Ray, a psychologist who has written a book titled: "The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture," and I am vaguely listening when I suddenly realize that the entire hook -- at least of this interview, I don't know about the book -- is that this guy is trying to persuade me that atheists enjoy better sex lives than do religious people.

That idea seems familiar, where have I heard that before? Hmmmmmmm. . . . .

Oh, yeah! Now I remember!

It was that stupid pledge Family Leader -- the Iowa Christian-Right Group -- was demanding the Republican Presidential aspirants sign. The Pledge required that the GOP pols explicitly recognize that "the overwhelming statistical evidence [is] that married people enjoy better health, better sex . . . ."

But . . . seriously? Is this how religiously-minded people expect to persuade me that there is a God, that my consciousness extends beyond death, that there is a true manifestation of the Sublime, Divine and Indescribable within my reach . . . or, y'know, maybe not?

This is what they've come up with -- the religious and the atheists -- to sell me on their most transcendental beliefs? How hard they can make me nut?

Jesus! If that's all there is then why not invite me to start worshipping at The Church of Michael Hutchence?

* * *

I dunno about you, but when I hear someone trying to sell me on their version of Truth, the Universe, and Everything, and their sales pitch is that I get to nut harder if I believe what they believe . . . I tend to think I'm talking to a pimp, and that what they are selling me is a whore.

No, thanks . . . I'll find my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment